Blog 18: 5/24-5/30 (week 12)

This week In the textbook I read about domestic policy and what it was. The textbook began by explaining what public policy is which is a guide to the government’s legislative action to address the needs of its citizens. From the textbook, I learned about the different categorization of public policy which was based on who pays the cost of an implemented policy and who receives the benefits. The textbook explained to me the different areas in were policies are implemented such as health care, education, and business regulations. I felt as if this week’s readings were really hard to wrap my head around because I never really knew what policy was, to begin with. One of my main takeaways from this week’s readings was that policy wasn’t just a piece of legislation but essentially an entire framework the government uses to decide how it provides for the needs of the public.

As I was reading what caught my attention was chapter 16.2 and its similarity to the first chapter of the textbook. The first chapter discussed the government’s role that it plays in society, and how interconnected our capitalist system was with the government. The first chapter discussed the different types of goods such as private goods, public goods, and toll goods. In the same way, chapter 16.2 discussed all these goods and also discussed America’s free-market economy. Even though chapter 1 and chapter 16 have different goals in mind when bringing up Capitalism, I found it interesting how everything connects throughout the textbook. This I felt was a great reminder about the importance of building off prior knowledge when trying to understand something new, just like the textbook built off prior information to teach something new.